NAME OF PROJECT: Secondary Education Quality Improvement (SEQUIP)
Loan No./Credit No./ Grant No.: IDA-65340
Project ID No. P170480
Assignment Title: Consultancy Services for Provision of Independent Verification Entity
Reference No. (as per Procurement Plan): ME-024/WB-SEQUIP-P170480/235256/2021-22/C/12
- This request for Expression of Interests follows the General Procurement Notice for this Project that appeared in United Nations Development Business (UNDB) Issue No. WB-P754804-06/21 of June 10, 2021.
- The Government of United Republic of Tanzania has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Secondary Education Quality Improvement Project (SEQUIP), and intends to apply part of the proceeds for Consulting Services for Provision of Independent Verification Entity.
- The Consulting Services include to propose a clear and cost-effective method to verify and assess DLR achievement, and strictly adhering to the PAD and POM DLR verification protocols. This should include the sample of LGAs to be verified; To prepare and have agreed a workplan and budget for the verification process, following the verification protocols; To tabulate for each of the DLRs the data needed for its verification, the data source/responsible entity;and deadline for these data to be available; this should be building on the POM action plan for DLR verification; to define and agree with Government and the World Bank on specific parameters and criteria for assessing the credibility and margin of error for data provided; To develop and pre-test all the survey instruments. The aim of this consultancy is a) to independently verify achievements against the agreed Disbursement Linked Indicators (DLIs) and Disbursement Linked Results (DLRs) for the specific financial years, and b) to propose disbursements for the DLRs following the verification results. The Verification Protocols are explained in the SEQUIP Program Appraisal Document (PAD) and Programme Operations Manual (POM). The Government of Tanzania, via the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (MoEST), is required to hire an Independent Verification Entity (IVE) for verify the DLR in the past financial year. This call is for the duration of the project (4 years); and will follow similar methodologies and process in all years. The verification will include annual verification for DLIs 1-12. The Firm will (a) verify the achievements of the DLIs; (b) contract and supervise the field surveys necessary for verification of DLIs 1-12; (c) verify all the reported DLR achievements against each DLR being assessed following the POM and PAD; (d) verify compliance with the Environmental and Social Framework (ESF). The verification team will include environmental and social safeguards specialists with the ability to verify that all project related activities have complied with the project’s ESF instruments. This is a requirement as per the projects Environment and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP); (d) present a clear opinion on the accuracy of the reported achievements, in line with the agreed method and; (e) present a recommended disbursement following the reported achievements and verification; (f) provide lessons learned and recommendations as regards verification and indicators/data sources/verification methods. Foundational DLRs will be verified through a review of required documents and procedures.
- The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment are available in the following website www.taneps.go.tz. The Consultants will be required to register on the TANePS to able to participate in this selection process. All requests for clarification should be sent through TANePS and the Client will send Responses to Clarifications and Amendments through TANePS - https://www.taneps.go.tz and email notification will also automatically be sent to those Consultants who have started working on this Request for Expression for Interest. The Consultants would be responsible for ensuring that any addenda available on the website is also downloaded and incorporated.
- The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Science and Technology now invites eligible consulting firms (“Consultants”) electronically through TANePS (taneps.go.tz) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services. The Shortlisting criteria are: (a) Relevant experience in conducting verifications and large-scale sample-based research in Tanzania or Sub Saharan Africa should be preferred and no mandatory, (b) Experience from design, monitoring and evaluation of development programs in the education as well other sectors. Experience with results-based financing will be a advantage, (c) Knowledge of the education sector in Tanzania (minimum 5 years), including the education management, information and financial systems, (d) Experience in audit reviews and capacity to review the quality of research studies; and (e) Ability to verify that all project related activities have complied with the project’s Environmental and Social Framework (ESF) instruments. Key Experts will not be evaluated at the shortlisting stage.
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs, 14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” November, 2020 - Fourth Edition setting forth in policy on conflict of interest.
- Consultants may associate with other firms to enhance their qualifications, but should indicate clearly whether the association is in the form of a joint venture and/or a sub-consultancy. In the case of a joint venture, all the partners in the joint venture shall be jointly and severally liable for the entire contract, if selected. Firms will be selected in accordance with the Quality and Cost Based selection (QCBS) method set out in the Procurement Regulations.
- Interested Firms must also provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services by submitting firms profile, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions and availability of appropriate skills.
- Expressions of interest must be submitted through Tanzania National Electronic Procurement System (TANePS) (taneps.go.tz) on or before 29th October, 2021 at 14:00 Hours East African Time. The Client shall not be held liable for any delays due to system failure beyond its control. Even though the system will attempt to notify the Consultants of any updates, the Client shall not be liable for any information not received by the bidder. It is the Consultants’ responsibility to verify the website for the latest information related to this selection process. Expression of Interests will be opened promptly thereafter through TANePS.
Ministry of Education, Science and Technology,
P.O Box 10-40479, Dodoma