The Southern African Development Community (SADC) Secretariat has organized the SADC students essay writing competition for year 2017. The Essay writing competition is intended to broaden knowledge of the secondary school going population on SADC
activities. The competition is open to form 1 to form 6 students. The students are required to begin researching on the topic prior writing and submitting to their Heads of School.
The 36th summit of Heads of State and Governments deliberated that, the topic for year 2017 be “Resource Mobilization for investment in Sustainable Energy Infrastructure for inclusive SADC Industrialization for the Prosperity of the Region”.
The set of questions below are meant to guide students when responding to the question above. Thus, on answering the above question , student should answer all the questions listed below:
Discuss the economic benefits, which SADC member states accrue in respect to investments in sustainable energy resources. (20 Points)
Discuss at length types of sustainable energy technologies that are upholding “going green” global initiative (15 Points)
As a secondary school learner, Identify key critical skills which are required to advance sustainable energy projects in SADC Region (20 Points)
Discuss and give examples of sustainable energy projects in the SADC Region, which are geared towards regional integration and energy security supply.(15 Points)
Discuss the negative impact of energy sources on our environment and what measures SADC is putting in place to mitigate against these impacts. (15 Points)
What role should be played by the non-state actors, private sector, Non governmental Organizations, traditional authorities and local communities in the supply and distribution of sustainable energy for economic and social development?(15 Points)
Heads of schools are supposed to ensure that the students adhere to the following guidelines:
- The essay should not be longer than 1500 words and not shorter than 1000 words.
- Where students have access to computers, they are advised to type their essays and submit both the soft and hard copies.
- Students who will type their essays will have to sign and initial the hard copies to make sure that they have not been altered.
- The essay shall be written in English language.
- The front page or cover page will display the name, sex, class, school address and stamp, Headmistress/Headmaster’s email address, signature and phone no, region, country.
- The title of the essay should be written in the cover page (students should not paraphrase the title)
- The handwritten essays will be written on one side of the A4 paper with double margin of two centimeters.
Students are expected to begin writing immediately and submit their essays to their head of school. The Head of School will then be expected to constitute a marking panel which will choose best essays of the school. The panel should go through the essays (Please do not mark the essays) and choose three essays to be submitted to The Permanent Secretary Ministry of Education Science and Technology not later than 15th April 2017. The national adjudication will take place from 02nd to 11th May 2017 in order to get three entries which will be submitted to the SADC Secretariat in Botswana.
The same Information can be found on the website www.SADC.int,
Wishing you and your schools best wishes.