To provide independent and objective services that add value and improve Ministry operations in order to accomplish Ministry’s objectives through a systematic discipline approach in evaluating and improving the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes.
This Unit performs the following activities:-
- Advise the Accounting Officer on various matters related to performance of ministerial mandates and functions as well as proper management of resources and mitigation of risks in the ministry;
- Review and report on proper control over the receipt, custody and utilization of all financial resources of the Ministry;
- Review and report on conformity with financial and operational procedures laid down in any legislation or any regulations or instructions issued under such legislation and good accounting practice as from time to time defined by the Accountant General.
- Review and report on the correct classification and allocation of revenue and expenditure accounts;
- Develop audit procedures to facilitate compliance with international standards;
- Review and report on the reliability and integrity of financial and operation data;
- Review and report on the systems in place used to safeguard assets and appropriate verification of existence of such assets;
- Review and report on operations or programs to ascertain whether results are consistent with established objectives and goals;
- Review and report on the adequacy of action by a management in response to Internal Audit Report;
- Review and report on the adequacy of controls built into computerized systems in place in the Ministry;
- Prepare and implement Strategic Audit Plans;
- Conduct performance audits on appraisal of development projects
- Respond to ad hoc request for audit assistance or advice as may be requested; and
- Prepare and submit periodic reports to the Accounting Officer and Audit Committee or as may be directed from time to time.
This Unit is led by the Chief Internal Auditor.